Many people have undergone hip, knee, and ankle replacement surgery using Exactech joint replacement products. In August 2021, Exactech announced the recall of many of its knee, ankle, and hip replacement parts. It was discovered that, for certain products sold since 2004, the packaging of various parts allowed exposure to oxygen, which could cause oxidation. Over time, the oxidation could lead to the breakdown of the implant material within the patient’s body, causing failure of the device and other complications. Additionally, Exactech recalled their Connexion GXL acetabular polyethylene liners, which are a key component in several hip replacement products. These liners could also break down prematurely.
Because of the many lawsuits associated with the defective products, the suits were consolidated into a nationwide multi-district lawsuit (MDL), centralized in the Eastern District of New York State. In addition, since Exactech is a Florida company, an additional, state-wide MDL has been created, which could go to trial earlier than the national MDL.
Do you have an Exactech product that has been recalled?
Many people who have had joint replacement that includes one of the recalled products have received letters from their doctors to let them know of the recall. However, if you are not sure, contact your doctor.
The ankle and knee replacement products recalled are:
- Optetrak® All-polyethylene CR Tibial Components
- Optetrak® All-polyethylene PS Tibial Components
- Optetrak® CR Tibial Inserts
- Optetrak® CR Slope Tibial Inserts
- Optetrak® PS Tibial Inserts
- Optetrak® HI-FLEX® PS Tibial Inserts
- Optetrak Logic® CR Tibial Inserts
- Optetrak Logic® CR Slope Tibial Inserts
- Optetrak Logic® CRC Tibial Inserts
- Optetrak Logic® PS Tibial Inserts
- Optetrak Logic® PSC Tibial Inserts
- Optetrak Logic® CC Tibial Inserts
- Truliant® CR Tibial Inserts
- Truliant® CR Slope Tibial Inserts
- Truliant® CRC Tibial Inserts
- Truliant® PS Tibial Inserts
- Truliant® PSC Tibial Inserts
- Vantage® Fixed-Bearing Liner Component
The recalled Connexion GXL liners are used in the following hip replacement systems:
- Exactech Acumatch®
- Exactech MCS®
- Exactech Novation®
Complications from defective Exactech products
Some of the complications of the failed products include:
- Need for revision surgery to replace or correct the damaged replacement products
- Grinding, clicking, or popping noises
- Bone degeneration
- Swelling and/or pain
- Inability to bear weight
- Trouble with walking or standing
Do you have legal rights?
If your replacement surgery utilized one of the products listed above, you may be able to join the national and/or Florida state MDL to receive compensation for lost wages, medical expenses, and pain and suffering.
As a Florida Personal Injury attorney, I am committed to helping Florida residents throughout the state receive just and fair compensation to help them cope with the injuries they have sustained through someone else’s negligence. I believe in “fighting for the rights of the little guy” and I have a track record of obtaining substantial compensation for my clients. Contact me at (954) 448-7288, 24/7 for a free consultation to see how I can help you.